Monday, October 10, 2011

Mathephobia

I used to think that math was a piece of cake. Every time my teacher would put a problem on the board to do I would breeze right through it. That was until I hit about 8th grade. Then I realized that I had absolutely no idea what in the world I was doing. Math has never really been one of my favorite subjects, but struggling through the class never helped anything. I would always feel stupid when other kids were like "This is so easy!" Meanwhile, I was hunched over in my seat not knowing anything that was going on. After kids would say things like that I would never want to ask a question because I always felt like everyone else was looking at me funny. I always tried really hard though, even if my grades didn't look like it reflected it. I wish I could be one of those math whizzes, but I'm pretty sure I can kiss that dream goodbye. Usually, I will get really nervous even when the word test is spoken. The sad part is, sometimes I actually know the topics but I get too caught up with the fact it's a test that I forget and then end up looking like I knew nothing. I feel like college grading systems for overall averages aren't exactly helpful because some people aren't good at tests but good at other forms of finding out if the information sticks. I think that projects are a good way to test not only concepts but creativity and expanding the way people learn and understand. But, because this option doesn't usually come up in classes I just know that I have to study really hard and get extra help. It's so hard though to be able to get outside help in the day because with a full course load of classes and outside activities, it's very hard to meet up with a teacher after class. So it also looks like I don't care about it or my grade so that's not good. I have learned that having a good and enthusiastic teacher who loves what they do really helps when grasping concepts and studying. I am learning to study more though and I feel that by being well prepared it will also help to be less stressed out for the class and for my days in other classes. If I allot some extra time at night to catch up and review the material, hopefully that can only help and make me feel better. Overall, I do like math, it's just I would like it more if I was actually good at it. But, just because it's not a strong subject of mine, I am going to keep trying and hopefully my hard work will pay off and then I won't be such a mathephobic person. I hope that one day I will be able to teach my students that feeling scared about math is something that many people go through and they shouldn't feel bad because of it.

5 comments:

  1. I really like your idea about doing more projects in classes. I to sometimes do terrible on tests even when i study. Projects are a really good idea because it is more hands on and you don't have to cram so much information in your head at once. It's also a different type of learning style. When you take a test it is more factual questions, you either know it or you don't. For a project you would need to take the time to find the answer. I know for me i need to see an explanation of why i got that answer. I feel as if projects will help the students have a better understanding for the material being taught.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dana,
    I completely agree about everything you said. I myself have mathephobia and wouldn't so much if i understood what was going on. I 100% agree with you that the grading that colleges have are not always fair and do not always show that even if you did bad on a test, that you still understand. When I hear the word test my heart stops and I am so nervous that I want to go home. If there is a quiz, I dont mind so much, but a test is a different story. When I was going to school as a child I always felt the same way about math. I never liked it. But like you said, I hope that me not liking math as much as other subjects, I dont want that to reflect on my students because then they will feel the same way. Projects are an amazing idea and more teachers sohould do them, and I know that once I am a teacher, projects and more hands on work is what I am going to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Dana,
    I really agree with what you said about the grading system in college. Most classes are purely based on test grades. Some people just have difficulty under the pressure of a test. Others simply need more time and feel they don't have it because they don't want to be the last person sitting in the classroom. Also a lot of tests have so much information on them that its hard to keep it all in your head, especially if you have other tests or classes that day. Sometimes I feel teachers need to remember some of us could be taking up to six classes at a time. Projects or in class group worksheets incorporated with test grades could help to even out the grading system. Another good point you made is how hard it is to find time to get extra help. Along with all my classes, working two jobs and doing other life chores its very hard to find time for extra help. I do fear that it seems I don't care about my grades when I am truly trying the best that I can. Sometimes between work and school I only have an hour and my job could be up to fifty minutes from school. It all comes back to how important time management is. Being a college student is very demanding mentally and physically. When I become a teacher I will remember to test students in all areas and that they do have other things happening in their lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you are all referring to is actually called "differentiated instruction." In an effort to reach all students that don't learn or perform well using traditional methods (lectures, tests, etc.), teachers are now being taught to come up with different ways of teaching and assessing the students. I understand your frustrations with the way college courses are set up, but I think higher educators assume that, if you made it this far, you should be able to tailor your learning to their methods. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but it is something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree with you on your whole blog because i am the same way. i didn't find math that hard until high school and then it all started going down hill from there. i can understand the concept but for some reason i look at the test and understand the question but cant seem to get to the right answer. i agree with college grades because some teachers only make your final grade out to be only 3 to 5 test grades and if your not a good test taker than you may fail the class. i can study for hours and know what i'm talking about but if i cant get certain answers right on the test and get in the 50's or 60's for 3 test then that only leaves me with a D at the end of the semester and that doesn't really show what you have learns or what you are capable of doing. That's why i also agree with you and think projects or homework is an awesome way for a teacher to see how you understand the material and how you get to the answer, and possibly help you on the mistacks you are making so you wont make the same one when the test comes.

    ReplyDelete